If you're planning a visit to Fairlight Glen, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Visit Hastings Castle – Located in the heart of Hastings, this 11th century castle is a great place to explore and learn about the history and culture of the area. Take a guided tour and learn about the Battle of Hastings, the Norman Conquest, and the Victorian era.
- Explore Fairlight Glen Nature Reserve – This stunning reserve has plenty of wildlife to admire, including wild flowers and birds like the chough, peregrine falcon, and nuthatch. Go on a woodland walk, take part in bird watching, and visit the observation hide.
- Visit Battle Abbey – This abbey was built in 1094 to commemorate the Battle of Hastings. Explore the ruins and learn about the history of the area and the Norman conquest. There are also interactive exhibits and guided tours available.
- Take a Hike Along the South Downs Way – Take a scenic walk along this long-distance path and admire the views of the countryside. The path runs from Eastbourne to Winchester, and it's a great way to explore the area and get some exercise.
- Discover the Local History at Rye Heritage Centre – Located in the old town of Rye, this museum boasts a wide range of exhibits about the history of the area. Discover how Rye has changed over the centuries and explore the interactive displays.
- Visit the Town of Rye – Explore the cobbled streets and visit the independent shops of this charming town. Stop for a bite to eat in one of the many cafes or tea rooms and visit the local art galleries and antique shops.
- Try Your Hand at Fishing – Take part in angling at one of the many fishing lakes in the area. There are several spots along the River Rother, as well as a few lakes in the surrounding countryside.
- Spend a Day at the Beach – Spend a day on the beach at one of the popular resorts in the area, such as Bexhill-on-Sea or Hastings. Take a dip in the sea, go for a paddle, or just relax and watch the waves roll in.
- Visit Bodiam Castle – This 14th century castle is a great place to explore and learn about the history of the area. Take a tour and admire the views of the surrounding countryside and moat.
- Take a Trip on the Kent and East Sussex Railway – Travel by steam train between Bodiam and Tenterden on this heritage railway. Enjoy the views of the countryside and take part in special events such as a Murder Mystery tour.
- Explore the Coastline – Take a walk along the coastline and admire the views of the English Channel. Stop in at one of the many beach cafes along the way and take a dip in the sea.
- Visit Beaches at Camber Sands and Winchelsea – Explore the sandy beaches at Camber Sands or Winchelsea and take part in activities such as kite flying, sandcastle building, and beachcombing.
- Check Out the Local Markets – Visit the local markets in Hastings or Rye to get some fresh produce and browse the stalls. There are also farmers' markets held on selected days in the area.
- Go Shopping in Eastbourne – Take a trip to Eastbourne and explore the shops, restaurants, and attractions. There are also plenty of museums and galleries to visit as well as a pier and a theatre.
- Take a Boat Trip from Bexhill – Take a scenic boat trip along the River Rother and admire the views of the surrounding countryside. Stop at one of the many picturesque villages along the way and explore the local history.
There are many things to see and do near Fairlight Glen. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!